[TenTec] Re: [TenTec_Orion] Orion at field day

Carl Moreschi n4py at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 1 03:58:36 EDT 2003

I find the Orion AGC controls very interesting.  The RF gain control in my
opinion is not even needed on the Orion.  If you set prog AGC, the threshold
control works very similar to the RF gain control on other receivers.   For
weak signal work, always use prog AGC and set the threshold to 0.38 uv.  If
you want a quiet background, you can use med or slow agc which have a
threshold of 3 uv.  If you want a very quiet background to block out thunder
crashing, use prog agc and set the threshold to 50 uv or even higher.

Fast agc seems best for SWL'ing with AM broadcast stations.

Carl Moreschi N4PY
Franklinton, NC