[TenTec] T tuner (transmatch) losses?

Greg Hodsdon k7kj at arrl.net
Tue Jul 1 12:34:36 EDT 2003

K5KVH wrote:
> Murch was a rugged component tuner.
> Stuart K5KVH

This was not my experience.  I purchased a Murch
transmatch new in the early 70's and it operated fine
at low power for several years.  After acquiring an
L4B amp, the insulation on the roller coil failed while
operating at about 700 watts.  The coil was replaced
with a rebuilt EFJohnson unit and has operated fine since.
Other upgrades over the years include replacing the
original turns counter with a Groth counter, insulating the
capacitor shafts and adding tuning verniers and a triple
core 4:1 balun.  I still use the transmatch today for tuning
the 80 m inverted vee using home made 4" spaced open
wire line.

I would only recommend a Murch for relatively low power
operation or as a starter component kit for building your
own high power tuner.

IMO any series of 229 or 238 tuner is a better high power
matching network for both quality of components and
design (L-network).
Greg, K7KJ

Greg Hodsdon
Portland, OR