[TenTec] Pegasus and USB?

Jody Levine jody at lcl.ca
Tue Jul 1 22:49:52 EDT 2003

My Pegasus got some air at field day, but the arrangement was less than
ideal. At home I have it hooked up to an ancient laptop with a broken
screen, but it's no problem as I just plug in a CRT. That was going to be
just a bit cumbersome for field day, so I tried to make it work with a
one-year-old Fujitsu subnotebook running XP that lacks all the old-style
ports (serial, parallel, PS2). I tried two USB-serial adaptors but all I got
out of that was a few more grey hairs. Luckily, the monitor for our main
computer blew up, so it was an excuse to buy a flat panel and drag out the
Cretaceous-period Thinkpad to Field Day.

I know some people have managed to talk to a Pegasus through a USB port, but
I'd like to hear specifically from those with XP Pro -- what adaptor are you
using?

Since Ten-Tec is probably listening -- any plans to make a USB interface for
the Peg? Assuming that Carl could get his software going on it, I'd gladly
send the radio in for an upgrade and not have to fart around with useless
hardware and recalcitrant Windoze drivers.

Jody
ve3ion