[TenTec] Why should I still order an Argo V?

Ynkedragon at aol.com Ynkedragon at aol.com
Fri Jul 4 12:55:36 EDT 2003

In a message dated 7/4/03 9:06:49 AM, duffyb01 at fuse.net writes:

<< After coming out of college years ago, I worked in retailing.  I learned

that the biggest sin in the retail business was to be out of stock.   Hard

to believe that T-T let themselves get into an out-of-stock situation on such

a new radio.

Perhaps it's time to look in the mirror.  When you placed the order did you
ask if the Argosy was in stock?  Did you ask when it would be shipped? Or, did
you assume that there was a warehouse full--ready to ship out the door?  This
reflector has recounted the anticipation times of several folks waiting for
their Argosy, or Orion or whatever.  It seems that T-T sets up their line to
make a number of one item, then changes the line to make something else.  If you
call in when there is an inventory, you might get your radio in 1 or 2 days.
Call at the wrong time?  Maybe you wait one or two months.

A manufacturer has to forecast demand, make enough product for anticipated
demand, then go on to the next product.  Too much production?  The carrying cost
kills them.  Worse, a product improvement becomes desirable . . . or
necessary.  How much more does it cost to remanufacture units in inventory--compared
to incorporating the change in the next production run?

If you want ANY small portable transceiver, there are several alternatives.
Most may be in stock at GOFARS (good old friendly amateur radio store) today.
If you WANT an Argosy, for the particular features it offers, you might have
to wait.

I recently ordered an antenna from a small lot California company which sells
direct.  When I asked about delivery, I was told "Five weeks."  I want that
antenna, I'll wait.

Happy Independence Day,

K3 Yankee Doodle (born on the 4th of July)