[TenTec] Re: Re: Why should I still order an Argo V?

J. Duffy Beischel duffyb01 at fuse.net
Fri Jul 4 19:30:16 EDT 2003

Bill and others,

I guess it is my sales background that says the salesman should be doing the
work to complete the sale.  I don't think the customer should be the one
that has to have the initiative and make all the effort to complete a sale.
If TenTec makes the customer do all the work - call to verify the
availability of stock, if there is no current stock, I the customer should
try and ask questions about all the alternatives, then call again to verify
that the shipment has indeed occurred.  If the customer has to do all the
work, have all the initiative, my question to the owners of TenTec is cut
costs and get rid of the salesmen because they are not really selling!  In
fact they are not doing a very good job of even processing the order.

This is not my first TT order via the web.  Everything in the past has gone
well.  However, I can say that my Internet orders were not verified via an
email or phone call.  Only sometimes did I receive a tracking number for the
shipment via email.

When I have ordered from R and L, Gigaparts and HRO, I have always received
emails confirming the order and emails providing the shipping information.
On one instance with HRO, I received a call in reference to one of the items
I ordered not being available only a few hours after I placed the order.
Come to think of it, when I ordered my Patcomm PC-500, I got a call from
them thanking me for the order and giving me the information on when the
unit would ship the day I placed the order.

You know the two times at Dayton that I purchased radios - TS-2000 and the
Yaesu FT-1500, each time when walking into the Kenwood and Yaesu booths
respectively, a Japanese gentleman at each company looked at their
respective radios, shook my hand and genuinely thanked me for the purchase.
I have never gotten that from anyone at TenTec in spite of wearing my TenTec
hat each year to Dayton and visiting their booth.  Interesting were the
private emails I received from three hams after reading my posts here
talking about their poor experience at Dayton with not being able to get
help because the TenTec representatives were too busy socializing and
blocking access to their radios.

I love every TenTec I have ever owned.  All the radios have been great
including my current Jupiter.  I am just surprised, given the condition of
the economy, that these situations can actually occur.  If TenTec wants to
grow their business, and make converts of the customers of the Japanese big
three, TenTec should look at how it interacts with buyers and how they can
improve their responsiveness to customers and the buying process.

Well if anything, this has slowed down my buying process and gives me a few
weeks to really consider this some more and look at some of the import
alternatives.

>>>In these days of using the computer for just about everything - - - we
sometimes tend to forget the "old fashioned" method of picking up the phone
and actually talking to someone.  I know that this is rather quaint but it
still works!  This is NOT to say that I have not ordered stuff WITHOUT
talking to a real person - I have done that quite often but NOT when things
like Ten-Tec rigs are involved.  It is nice to talk to Scott or Stan.  If a
"NEW" rig is not available they will say so and there is always the
possibility of one of the demo units being available.  Each of the two times
I called to order a 6N2 there were no "new" ones available (bummer!) BUT
each time there was a unit, that had been returned during the 30 day trial
and tested, that was available.  Why not ask if there is a similar Argonaut
available?    73,  Bill
wa2pvk at msn.com<<<