[TenTec] Jupiter and N4PY

Mike Donovan (Donovan Photos) mdonovan at ocol.com
Sat Jul 5 15:31:32 EDT 2003

Well, I have had my Jupiter for just about 2 months now.  It is not my first rig, nor my first Tentec.  Am I satisfied, in a word yes.  For me, of prime importance was having a rig that was completely software controlled.  I suffer from osteo-arthritus in both of my shoulders and some days I can not turn any dials on a radio.  That dictated that all functions on my radio had to be controlled by my computer.

My first attempts were with TRX-manager.  Using this program gave me valuable experience in seeking a solution for my needs.  Next I downloaded the control program from Tentec and used it in demo mode to see if it fit what I was looking for.   I finally decided on the Jupiter after weighing the pros and cons about the Pegasus.  I am very satisfied by my purchase, and by Tentecs phone service.  The radio functions great, and the receiver is every bit as good as others I have used.  Before the radio even arrived I had purchased Carl's program and had it installed.  Without the software the Jupiter is a great radio to work with, and on days when it really hurts, Carl's program makes the difference between using my radio and not.

I can not comment on the technical side of the Jupiter as that isnt my speciality.  From an operators point of view it is easy to use, setup and the screen is very easy to read.  For the price, I think it is a very good deal and I would recommend it to anyone who likes working with their computer, and or needs to work with a computer (as in my case).  I find the screen, fit and finish to be fine and the radio to be a quality radio.  I even like the internal speaker (which some have decried) as the audio is more than adequate and clear.

Mike Donovan
VE7EPQ