[TenTec] Why should I still order an Argo V?

Robert Higgins rhiggins1 at cfl.rr.com
Tue Jul 8 18:16:02 EDT 2003

You are correct, but according to Duffy's post this e-mail was in reply to
his inquiry about why his radio hadn't arrived with the next days Fed Ex
delivery. It was not initiated by TT.

Secondly, you have to allow that your experience in industrial purchasing
gives you a viewpoint different from the average consumer.

Thirdly, if an item is advertised for sale by a retail outlet, whether via
newspaper, handbill, internet site, or whatever, you as the purchaser have a
reasonable expectation that the item is available at that time. Remember,
industrial and consumer purchasing deal with different protocols. Recall
also that abuses by certain retailers have resulted in legislation requiring
that retailers have on hand stock of advertised items sufficient to meet
expected demand. We have all had the experience of seeing an item (digital
camera, computer, ham radio, or Coca Cola advertised by a retailer. We go to
their store to buy the item and are told "sorry, we're out of stock. We'll
have more next week." Frosts my tukus. Maybe you take a more philosophical
view and remind yourself that you should have "taken ownership of what
happens to your life."

Fourthly, having to wait for an order is not the issue either. We all have
to wait for orders whether the wait is overnight or 6 or 7 months (see
original Orion orders). The point is a  customer should be advised if his
wait is going to be longer than expected. What is your own experience? You
place an order with one of your suppliers. In good faith he tells you
"You'll have it in a week." Later he finds there is a problem and you will
not have your order for three weeks. Do you feel he has an obligation to
notify you? Or is it up to you to "be proactive and make sure things go your
way"?

Many websites I use or peruse will flag items that are out of stock. Most
also advise the expected date it will be available. It is not a difficult
task to accomplish, and to me is now the standard of customer service for
internet ordering.

My sole point is, there is good customer service and bad customer service.
It is not a matter of "turning control of our lives to others" it is simply
learning on whom we can rely and on whom we cannot. That is how I spend less
time being disappointed.

73 Bob K4LW