[TenTec] Balanced Tuners

Ken Klinedinst kbk at conknet.com
Thu Jul 10 08:07:39 EDT 2003

I have used link coupled tuners, built from old QST articles, for 20
years. About a year ago I was directed to this article authored by
Richard Measures, AG6K. A true balanced tuner without a balun.

www.vcnet.com/measures/bbat.html <http://www.vcnet.com/measures/bbat.html>  (this is not linked)

This tuner also appeared in QST Feb 1990 with a variation published in
QST Apr 2002

My version does not have the small DC motors, belts or gears driving the
twin rollers, but simply adjusted by two counter dials. Cost was about
$150.00 which was for the two rollers and one variable capacitor.

I run 600 watts output, key down, 160-10 (excluding the WARC bands, my
amp does not cover these bands) meters to a 234', center fed with open
wire, dipole. obtaining a SWR of 1:1 across each band.  The same results
are obtained on the WARC bands with 100 Watts output key down.

Have any questions please email me

Ken W1IRQ