[TenTec] field day from hell

Ken Brown ken.d.brown at verizon.net
Fri Jul 11 13:46:17 EDT 2003

Hi Jerry,

I use CT by K1EA Contest Logging Program when I operate in contests. I
do not have to keep a paper log and a paper dupe sheet, and when the
contest is over the score calculation and prepartation of the log for
submission is much less work. I still have to copy the CW callsigns and
other contest exchange information. Sending is mostly done using the 'F'
keys on the computor with occasional fills and repeats from the keyer
paddle. This is nearly the same as if I were using a memory keyer. The
only significant difference is that when I have the other station's
callsign typed into the computor I can sent that with a push of the "F4"
key. There is still quite a bit of operator skill necessary to make the
QSOs, and what is more important it is still a lot of fun, without the
drugery of the paper log preparation after the contest.

As for having the computer do the CW copying, I have not seen a copying
machine or program that could come close to the capability of a human
processor for sorting out and copying a signal in a crowded contest
pileup. Maybe someday the technology will evolve to that point (maybe it
already has, and I'm just not aware of it). I agree that that would take
the fun out of it. But then just because the technology exists, does not
mean we have to use it. We could still do it the way that is most fun
for us. For me using a computer to log does not detract form my
enjoyment of CW contesting, in fact I believe that it enhances my
enjoyment. I do not think that it detracts from the enjoyment of other
operators who may choose to use a paper log, as it sounds virtually the
same on the air. Maybe fewer mistakes and less sloppy sending. Is it an
unfair advantage towards a high score? I don't know. Maybe there should
be a separate catagory for paper loggers. The final score is not so
important to me as the enjoyment of operating.

Ken N6KB