[TenTec] Paragon Keying Problem

Michael Tope W4EF at dellroy.com
Fri Jul 18 05:55:18 EDT 2003

I am using an external keyer. In fact there is no internal
keyer in the Paragon. The problem appears to be with the
T/R switching firmware. When switching between different
transmit and receive frequencies over a narrow range
of CW speeds, the keying envelope of the transmitter
gets clipped because the VFO synthesizer isn't fast
enough to switch back and forth between the transmit
and receive frequencies on a character to character
basis. You can get around this problem, by simply
leaving the "split" function off, and then hitting the
A/B switch to select the proper receive frequency
when you are done transmitting. Unfortunately, in
the heat of a pileup, its too easy to end up transmitting
on the wrong frequency.

Someone suggested new firmware. I will try the
factory to see if I can get a copy.

See:http://www.idiompress.com/keyers.html