[TenTec] Argo, Jupiter, Pegasus, RX320 overload

George, W5YR w5yr at att.net
Wed Jul 23 12:02:53 EDT 2003

Jack, I wonder if some unintentional typos got into your posting.

Adding any loss ahead of the receiver *increases* the noise figure by the
amount of the loss in dB and raises the minimum detectable signal level by
the same amount.

The noise figure is increased one dB for each dB of loss introduced. In
fact, by definition the noise factor of a lossy passive element is simply
the loss, which when expressed in dB becomes the *increase* in noise figure.
The MDS is raised the same amount. Example: a lossy coax cable run from the
antenna to the rig on VHF/UHF.

This increase in NF degrades weak signal performance although it raises the
TOI and increases the dynamic range. To that extent, it is desirable.

Changing the gain of a pre-mixer r-f amplifier stage is one way to enhance
strong-signal handling capability at the expense of weak-signal detection
capability. Your suggestion for reducing gain by introducing negative
feedback by eliminating the bypass capacitor is novel and might have merit
in some designs. I am not sure that I would agree that reducing the gain has
little effect on noise figure since the NF of the stage depends upon several
factors in addition to just its gain.

But any gain reduction affects weak-signal performance while it enhances
strong-signal-handling capability. If it is done in such a way that
linearity is improved, so much the better. But reduced gain is reduced gain,
and that increases the effect of all noise sources ahead of that stage, per
the classic theory of cascaded noisy two-ports.
Note, however, that theory is based upon the assumption of linear elements
in the overall system. Once an active stage is driven into non-linearity,
conventional linear systems theory begins to stray from reality.

Actually, from a practical point of view, HF operation is so totally
dominated by noise external to the radio, that what we do in the radio to
influence its own noise figure is largely academic. So, our principal
weapons are achieving linearity in all stages to the economic extent
possible and applying appropriate filtering and gain distribution, including
AGC operation, to finish the job.

Interesting stuff, huh?

73/72, George
Amateur Radio W5YR -  the Yellow Rose of Texas
Fairview, TX 30 mi NE of Dallas in Collin county EM13QE
"In the 57th year and it just keeps getting better!"
<mailto:w5yr at att.net>