[TenTec] 1N4007 vs. 1N4002 diodes

Thomas Jednacz tjednacz at ieee.org
Sun Jul 27 15:41:08 EDT 2003

>Subject: Re: [TenTec] 1N4007 vs 1N4002 diodes

>Rick;
>For at least the past 12-14 months, we have received 1N4007 diodes
">direct replacement for 1N4002" and do not have a valid reason why this
>has become a "sub" from 3 vendors we use.

>Good luck,

>Jim Miller, K4SQR

Howdy - the 1N4007 is the highest voltage of the 1N4--- series. The
manufacturing process is tuned to optimize the yield of the high voltage
1N4007. All lower numbers are fall out (do not meet voltage breakdown
specifications) and sold as lower voltage product. Recent years has seen a
dramatic improvement in process control and therefore yield of the high
voltage product. There is less fall out to sell so they ship the 1N4007 as a
replacement for the lower voltage product.

Tom, W7QF