[TenTec] Why Ethernet?

Dave Kamp, KW0D kw0d at netexpress.net
Sun Jun 1 19:52:26 EDT 2003

Pete wrote:
>I certainly agree it's about time to change to something besides an RS232
>port  ... <snip> >So I would prefer either a regular USB or Firewire port
on a rig. <snip> ...far  more confusors come with USB/Firewire than network
>ports these days.

If I were to spec out a new rig, I'd prefer 10/100 Ethernet interface over
anything else.  New computers essentially all come with 10/100 interface
ports, and are ready to connect to TCP-IP.  A large proportion of computer
buyers these days connects to broadband internet services through either a
cable-modem, ISDN, DSL, or wireless services, all which use Ethernet.  I'm
odd, in that I use dial-up, however, all my computers (17 of 'em) are
networked, and I have a router that performs dial-up service for all
machines on the network.

The nice thing about Ethernet, is that all the goofy problems which occur
with USB and Firewire have long-since been solved... no hardware issues, no
problems with wiring (make your own CAT5 T568 cable), no problems with
hubs, bridges, or routers, no protocol issues, no software complications.
TCP-IP is totally published, extremely standardized, and hardware is
CHEEAP.  USB and Firewire can operate down a wire 10-20' or so, mebbie
farther... Ethernet using TCP-IP can be anywhere... a foot away, or halfway
around the world.  Got a 'LINK' light at both ends?  that means Ethernet is
working.  No special drivers necessary.

Best of all, absolutely anything can be sent... you can stream audio in
both directions, send and recieve control data... whatever you like, and
the machine at the other end has no qualms about it.  Let's say you've got
a half-dozen Ethernet-connected transciever sitting in a shack atop a hill
2 miles away from your house.  Connect all the rigs to a hub.  You take
your PC, connect a wireless LAN interface to it, point an antenna at the
shack, and install a similar system in the shack, connect it to your shack
hub, and now your PC can operate ALL the equipment, as well as send sound
out your PC's speakers, and send your voice and keying commands to the rig.

Nobody's done it yet, but it will happen.  It is the future.

DK  :-)