[TenTec] Why Ethernet?

Bill Fuqua wlfuqu00 at uky.edu
Mon Jun 2 15:19:58 EDT 2003

	Just got back into town and noticed this thread.
I am involved in the design of instruments for physics research.
And one problem that we have encountered is the rapid change in computer
technology making instruments that are perfectly suited for the job no
longer useful with the newer computers.  In the 1980's is seemed that the
standard was "S100". Before the PC's really hit the market big time. So we
designed some instruments to fit onto S100 boards. We also used parallel
interfaces in some instruments and serial in others.
	Then comes along the PCs. Well we could still use the parallel interfaces
and serial interfaces but the S100 stuff  had to be trashed. The people
actually doing  the  programming  (professors and graduate students) did
understand BASIC and could write and modify their own programs. This is
perfect because having a single programmer to funnel all this thru would be
a serious problem and the graduate students would not gain the experience
either.
	We had to decide where to go from here. The problem is that the parallel
interfaces have gone, serial interfaces (rs232) to more than one instrument
is a real problem using the new computers due to operating systems and
visual basic etc....
What interface is most likely to survive for the next 10 years or so?  USB
has already  been upgraded and firewire taking its place and then something
else and something else etc....
	But ether net is likely to be around for some time due to the fact that
many buildings are wired for it and the owners of those buildings are not
likely to want to rewire them for some time.  Also, for about $50 each
((unit quantities from Lantronix) an OEM interface just a little larger
than an ether net connector behaves like a nano-server and contains a micro
controller that you can program to interface to your instrument and the
nanoserver can be set up to look just like webpage (buttons and everything)
with HTML etc. This way a person can control an instrument from any
computer without special software.
      	I suspect that equipment manufacturers all over are facing a similar
problem and will be going to ether net.

73
Bill wa4lav