[TenTec] Why an Amp?

Dave Kamp, KW0D kw0d at netexpress.net
Mon Jun 2 20:22:23 EDT 2003

Hi Ben!

Nice explanation, but there's one more reason;

WinterShack Syndrom.

WSS is common in the northern latitudes... not so common in my area, but
ever since my 'shack' got banished to an addition on the back-side of the
garage, I've suffered from WSS.  In doing the addition, I did use 2x6 walls
and good insulation, but didn't have the economic standing or good-graces
with the local inspector-nazi to trench in a new gas line, or install a
furnace in the shack... SO, the solution was simple:  buy a Centurion, and
drive it lightly.  I find that I can gain 6-10 S-units, and 15 degrees, all
at the same time.  I use a small milkhouse heater to keep the slab at about
50 degrees, and when I'm working out there in January, simply turning on
the lights and firing up the HF system brings the comfort level right up.
When it's cold (like, -10 or lower), I turn on the ATV system and fire up
the converted Johnson Thunderbolt 6N2 (now converted to 70cm ATV), and
shoot pictures of the Mississippi River towards Chicago.  If that isn't
enough, on comes the Hammarlund HQ140X, the Central Electronics 100V, and
the dual-813's...  that makes it comfortable down to -30.  Any worse, and I
put on the slippers, zip to the house, get some hot chocolate, and head for
bed.  Another reason to have the rig on the network!

DK  :-)