[TenTec] Some Observations on Orion Stability/Calibration

Carl Moreschi n4py at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 3 03:40:06 EDT 2003

Jerry,

That's all well and good.  But the fact that the frequency measurements made
on my Orion and several others mentioned earlier in this thread are so
repeatable says there's something wrong in the analysis.  I still say the
frequency has to average within a few cycles of true in a 10 second period.
I tune in WWV in AM mode on one receiver and put the test receiver in SSB.
I then listen to the beat note produced in the test receiver for the tone
generated by WWV.  You can easily hear 1 cycle beat errors this way.  The
test receiver is then tuned for the lowest beat frequency.  The frequency on
the test receiver does not move more than a cycle or two over a three minute
period and is very reproducible each night.  This is at 10 mhz.  I still
say, the proprogation efects have to average out over short periods.  If
they didn't where are the extra or lost cycles going?  There's no way you
can be off 30 hertz in the same direction for a long period of time
(minutes).

Carl Moreschi N4PY
Franklinton, NC