[TenTec] Orion rf gain and inherent noise

Grant Youngman nq5t at attbi.com
Sat Jun 7 15:06:04 EDT 2003

> I have noticed that if I turn the RF Gain down to zero, as I am doing
> so, I hear a variety of changes in the background noise of the
> receiver.  If you are listening to a reasonably strong signal, and
> turn the RF gain down, the signal of course drops, however the noise
> of the receiver stays fairly constant...even rises a bit.

Yes, I see that too.  I have to admit, I'd never turned the RF gain all
the way down before :-)

40M and below, the noise level seems to plateau -- drops to a point
and then doesn't drop any further.  20M and up, especially on 10M,
the noise level rises dramatically when the gain is turned down.

The sub receiver doesn't appear to do that, just the main.

Would be interesting to know what's going on there.

Grant/NQ5T