[TenTec] RFI update

wb5jnc at juno.com wb5jnc at juno.com
Wed Jun 11 15:51:39 EDT 2003

Greetings all,

About a month ago I posted a message about an intermittent RFI problem on the AM BC band and 160M (which shows up spaced at approximately 138 KHz intervals). I had continued to try to track it down as time/WX permitted and had narrowed it down to my house and the neighbor behind me. Yesterday the neighbor's jr. op was out mowing the lawn so I went over and talked to him after he finished. It turns out that he came home from college about the time the RFI started. He brought his clone computer home that they had bought for him last fall when he went off to school and started using it here. I have checked from their QTH and the RFI seems to disappear completely with unplugging it -- now I need to get on the landline with him and check from my QTH. I had him unplug it as a secondary test because when it was on it _completely_ wiped out the AM radio in the hall outside his room with broadband noise! (BTW the computer is an "Alaska" brand: PS says "Made in China" as to be expected.)

Does this sound like it could be the culprit, and if so, what's the best way to get it resolved? (The family is very cooperative and the system is less than 1 yr. old, so the question would seem to come down to whether the dealer or the manufacturer is responsible if I can prove that this system is the source of the RFI.)

TNX/73, Al