[TenTec] RF Hash

Rob Atkinson, K5UJ k5uj at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 11 18:12:56 EDT 2003

Apologies for the off topic post:  one thing cheaper than buying a whole new
computer is to get (and I'd lend this with the understanding you get it back
if they get rid of the machine) a W3NQN ac line filter and use it on the pc.
  These are supposed to be very good filters, much better than the junk you
get at RS or Best Buy etc.  They are sold by Array Solutions.  Go to:
http://www.arraysolutions.com/Products/nqnaclinefilter.htm
for more information.  These are used in stations where the pc is near the
rig and the op wants to keep all the pc garbage (processor noise, monitor
noise etc.) going out on the line out of the receiver.  But they aren't
cheap--about $100 ea. (you get what you pay for) so as one other guy said,
you'd probably be better off replacing the power supply if you can find a
clean one and that's the only problem.

I have a similar line noise hash that wipes out the broadcast band here up
to a bit above 1 Mhz.  I'm suspecting some sort of appliance like a pc at my
neighbor's house, but luckily for me, it doesn't extend into the ham bands,
and the bc stations I listen to below 1 Mhz are all 50 kw.

Rob Atkinson
K5UJ
k5uj at hotmail.com