[TenTec] Omni6+ roofing filter

George, W5YR w5yr at att.net
Mon Jun 16 19:18:42 EDT 2003

In order to contain strong signals and spurs, as well as perform their
fundamental job of image-rejection, roofing filters must be installed as
near the front-end of the receiver as possible. The preferable location is
immediately following the first mixer in a superhet.

Most IF filters are located far enough down the chain for the previous
stages to be affected by the signals true roofing filters are aimed at
keeping out.

I guess the bottom line is that conventional IF filters are used for signal
selection and noise-bandwidth reduction. Because of their usual location
within the signal chain, they may or more generally may not be very
effective as "roofing filters."

A singular counterexample is the Elecraft K2 in which the IF filter follows
the post-mixer amplifier directly and serves as both the roofing filter and
the IF signal-selection filter. The post-mixer amplifier is a special
high-current design with a very large dynamic range. It follows a ring-diode
mixer with a similarly large dynamic range. No AGC is applied anywhere in
the front-end, only to the IF amplifier following the IF filter.

The ORION, the K2 and the Icom 7800 have several design features in common.

Usually though, simply using a narrow IF filter does not have much effect
upon the front-end performance of a receiver in the sense of increasing its
TOI or IMDDR.

73/72, George
Amateur Radio W5YR -  the Yellow Rose of Texas
Fairview, TX 30 mi NE of Dallas in Collin county EM13QE
"In the 57th year and it just keeps getting better!"
<mailto:w5yr at att.net>