[TenTec] SPAM & VIRUSES

tongaloa tongaloa at alltel.net
Thu Jun 19 18:27:15 EDT 2003

LARRY GREENBERG, N5BEA wrote:

> The filtering is minimal.  There is no way to gage the amount of
> unwanted data enter the Linux based servers.  They are resistant to
> infections but when infected, fixes are usually non-existent.  This
> means hard disk formatting and redundant systems to facilitate minimum
> down time at xx thousand dollars per hour.

I'm no Linux bigot. I run Solaris and W2K as well :-)
With appropriate logging and interpretation of the logs. Virtually all
of which may be
automated, there is nothing that can happen to a Unix and little to a
W2K system
that the administrator may not uncover and fix.
Whether he can or not is another story.
Large hardware investment does not imply adequate administration...

|  Linux is a great system. I use it for many operations.  I believe
Mapper was tremendous, the answer to all problems |  when Sperry
developed it back in the 80's .  Do you recall the name  of the
Operating System developed for DEC?

Which one?
VMS, Ultrix, one of the multitude of DOS's or RTOS's ???

Personally I like BSD unix for network operations.

-t