[TenTec] HP GPS Receiver

Jim Reid jimr.reid at verizon.net
Sun Jun 22 08:41:39 EDT 2003

Al wondered:

> I'm curious. Now that we can achieve absolute frequency
> accuracy to within plus or minus one hertz, of what benefit
> is that to day-to-day ham operating?

None that I can think of,  hi.I have used it to sync my
RX-340 to this external hp rcvr.  This first "clued" me that
my Orion was also not "exactly" on frequency.  So I went
looking, and found that it was actually 27 Hz above the
indicated tuned frequency.  And that explained why if
both rcvr's were tuned to the same indicated frequency,
and playing simultaneously,  they didn't sound in "unison".

So I adjusted the TCXO in the Orion;  found that to be a
bit tricky,  but now it is about 12 Hz low after warm up for
40 minutes or so.  And the two radios are now very difficult
to "hear" any differences when tuned to the same CW
signal,  for example.

Why bother,  actually was just interesting for me,  hi.

73,  Jim  KH7M