[TenTec] Omni D frequency shifting

Mike Hyder -N4NT- N4NT_Mike.Hyder at charter.net
Tue Jun 24 10:08:41 EDT 2003

Hi, Tony--

When the grease in the PTO gets all dried and gummy, the Omni-D may waver in
frequency as you describe.  You would be able to hear it in your receiver if
you listen closely.  If it seems to warble as you tune in a signal, then
even when you get right on frequency and think it is stable, it may move
slightly as you describe.

Circuit boards in the Omni-D plug into their sockets.  My first hypothesis
is that one or more of these pins are not making reliable contact.  I would
test this by unplugging each card (one at a time) and re-inserting it
several times to 'clean the contacts.'

There is an internal pot that is used to balance the front panel RIT pot.
My second hypothesis would be that this pot is dirty.  The manual tells how
to adjust it after you have cleaned it.

Please let us know how you resolved the problem.

73 and good luck,
Mike N4NT