[TenTec] Re: [TenTec_Orion] Orion at field day

Richard Siff Richard.Siff at Verizon.net
Mon Jun 30 13:00:42 EDT 2003

Hi Marty and All,

Finally no A/B TEST - Just real observations.  Thanks for your report.

Using my ORION at home during FD, I started playing with the AGC, I
found best speed was slow -  made the receiver very quite on CW, I kept
the selectivity between 500 and 100 hz.  I have not noticed any strong
single affects in about 50 CW QSOs with the ORION.  I am about a 30 wpm
guy for CW - but enjoy 3 WPM too on 7108.

For LSB also played with the RF gain along with the AGC and found
settings of 34 - 50 RF gain to be excellent with SLOW AGC for QRN
conditions on 75 meters.  I set the NB at 2 and NR at 5.  This generated
Q5 copy  with S-1 and S-2 singles checking into the VSBN on 3947 LSB
handling FD traffic on June 29th.

I too am impressed with the ORION - Just did not have enough GUTS to
take it out to the FD site this year.

I hope some others will share their ORION SETTINGS.

God Bless