[TenTec] Re: # 4 Argonaut V ARRL Review 3rd and 2nd IPs ?

Jim Reid jimr.reid at verizon.net
Mon Mar 3 18:41:51 EST 2003

Stuart, K5KVH,  wrote,  in part:

> Jim,  The ARRL lab has a very limited budget and likes to do
> tests some hams can replicate.  The spectrum analyzer
> Rhode and Schwartz uses is a professional probably $50,000
> one, or more.   ARRL lab has some good basic ones, but
> probably not the ones that will do the high dynamic range of
> todays new receivers, in fact, it is a problem for the $25,000
> spectrum analyzers, for we face the same in our lab at the University.

Well,  if the ARRL cannot afford to do an accurate test,  using
the correct and industry standard method,  then,  I believe
they have no business substituting some other method and
publishing the results as accurate and meaningful!!

Such "jury rigged" testing is not accurate and is certainly
unfair to manufacturers who invested many bucks to bring
new product to the amateur radio market!  What is the point
in doing "something" if it is not really accurate?

73,  Jim  KH7M