[TenTec] New ham looking at Pegasus

Jody Levine jody at lcl.ca
Tue Mar 4 19:56:13 EST 2003

I'm looking at buying my first HF rig and was leaning toward the Yaesu
FT920, but I'm intrigued by some of the scattered comments I've been seeing
about the TenTec Pegasus. I'm not sure if I'd mind the lack of a traditional
control panel (and I can't afford the extra $300 for the Jupiter -- doesn't
look like it's worth it anyway), or 6metre capability. I'm also really not
keen on having to mail order, though it sounds like TenTec is a good outfit
to deal with. What has really interested me are the reports on how quiet a
receiver this rig is, and the PC control's advantage in flexibility. Trouble
is that I can't seem to find any personal experience with this radio around
my local club (Mississauga - near Toronto) so I'm hoping you all can provide
some insight on what I might be getting into here!

Is the Pegasus a better radio than the FT-920 or the Kenwood TS-570? Is that
a ridiculous question :-) ? What are your likes and dislikes?

Thanks for any help, and 73,

Jody
ve3ion