[TenTec] Group replies vs. personal e-mail

George, W5YR w5yr at att.net
Wed Mar 5 16:40:26 EST 2003

Scott, take it from one who knows, not all email clients are alike. I use
Outlook 2000 which is the big brother to Outlook Express, and regardless of
whether you press REPLY TO or REPLY TO ALL, "tentec at contesting.com" goes
into the TO: address field. The user has no control over that  - there is no
difference in the action of the two buttons. There is no option to change
that behavior - the list owner has set up the list operation in that manner.

Some lists are set up to operate that way - the majority that I use are not.

As it is, if you don't want to send something to the list, you must manually
delete the TenTec address and either type in or paste in  the address of the
one person to whom the response is directed.

The usual procedure on most lists is to allow the email client to do these
tasks automatically and transparently when the user presses the Reply To
button. That way the original Sender's address is automatically placed in
the TO" field.

The usual rationale' for not using this procedure is that the list owner
feels that anything that a subscriber sends out should be seen by everyone,
and if an exception is to be made, it is the user's responsibility to take
the required manual steps.

As one who has gone as deeply into the trenches as one can in this regard, I
can only advise you to double-check the TO: field with every posting to
ensure where the message is going. If you do not change it, your posting
will go to the entire list.

This also brings to mind a saying that my Mother used a lot when I was a
child: "Never say anything that you would not want to see printed on the
front page of the newspaper!"

73/72, George
Amateur Radio W5YR -  the Yellow Rose of Texas
Fairview, TX 30 mi NE of Dallas in Collin county EM13QE
"In the 57th year and it just keeps getting better!"