[TenTec] CW Contests and IP3

John Rippey w3uls at 3n.net
Fri Mar 7 09:33:10 EST 2003

Hello, Barry:

Many thanks for your posting. It raises an intriguing question--not for
that particular FT-920 since I've just sold it--but about the FT-920
generally. I never considered the possibility of a receiver problem, since
I noted comments by hams in eHam.net reviews and otherwise about the
FT-920's contest performance whose experiences were similar to mine. But
when the difference in ARRL lab's IP3 numbers is so great-->21 dB--it does
make me wonder if you may be on to something and that I may have overlooked
something so obvious as a defect.

I really liked the 920 as a CW rig--it is beautifully set up for it and a
pleasure to use--and I would consider buying another in a heartbeat if it
turns out that I misjudged the problem I had.  Do your contesting friends
have the Inrad filter board modification installed on their FT-920's? I
understand that helps a lot. Mine had the optional Yaesu 500 Hz CW filter,
which worked well--except when multiple strong sigs were present.

As you may remember, I also tried out an FT-1000D, but sold it after
finding it was more trouble than it was worth in tuning up, etc. Even
though the FT-1000D's receiver was first rate, I found myself coming back
to the FT-920. So any insights in this regard would be appreciated, because
the FT-920 still would be my first choice overall as a CW rig. The reason I
bought the Argonaut is that my quest for a totally satisfying (for me) CW
rig is ongoing.

By the way, I've asked George at Inrad to check out the key clicks on the
FT-920 and he said he would when he gets one to play with. I would love to
see him come up with a fix similar to his MP fix.

Many thanks and 73,
John