[TenTec] CW Contests and IP3

WA3FIY wa3fiy at radioadv.com
Fri Mar 7 10:37:15 EST 2003

I did not read into John's comments that the 516 is an over achiever.
In fact he mentioned

> This is not to say that the Argo was perfect............

I think he was just sharing his observation of it's performance under
contest conditions against another radio, and that it is a pretty good
performer when compared to another radio operating under the
same conditions.

And I certainly cannot take issue with the statement about the two
experienced contesters Barry mentions.   If they are happy with their
radios..........they are happy!    But I don't see that they compared
their radios side by side with another one operating under the same
conditions.    So, to say my radio works fine and I am happy with it is
one thing........to say it works better or worse than another one is an
altogether different matter.

We had a lengthy discussion about this issue of test results vs on air
performance a year or so ago...   My view is that while the numbers
give us some sense of what the radio will do, the best and final test
is on the operating desk under tough conditions.  But I guess I'm
stating the obvious huh?     :-)

--

73 de Lee  WA3FIY
wa3fiy at radioadv.com

"Ability may get you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there."
  - John Wooden