[TenTec] Planetary reduction drive on Titan

Ken Brown ken.d.brown at verizon.net
Fri Mar 7 13:34:41 EST 2003

Hi all,

I have a Titan 425 amplifier. Both the Tune and Load air variables have
planetary ball reduction drives on them. The drive on the  Load
capacitor (which has the polyethyene sheets between the plates) is
slipping. I intend to replace the planetary drive as soon as I figure
out how to get one from Ten-Tec. I expect that to solve the problem,
however I am concerned that it will only be a temporary fix, because the
torque required to rotate the load capacitor is significantly higher
than typical air variables, due to the friction of the rubbing polythene
(equal time for UK readers) sheets. The torque needed to rotate the
shaft is noticably greater as the plates are more completely meshed. So
I suspect that the planetary drive has suffered through an abnormally
stressful life, causing is early demise. And a replacement drive will
have a similar fate. What are the options? Is there a better way to get
the necessary capacitance and voltage rating? Another air variable that
does not have the polyethylene sheets? A heavier duty planetary drive?
Delete the planetary drive and have knob rotation to capacitor shaft
rotation ratio = 1:1?

Thanks for any help,

Ken N6KB