[TenTec] Astatic D104 mic and Pegasus

Bill Fulling w4njf at midflorida.com
Wed Mar 12 19:36:43 EST 2003

Hello Paul,
Have been using a D-104 with my Jupiter for the last year and have gotten
nothing but good comments on the audio from the many DX stations I've
worked.
This D-104 was purchased at a local hamfest three years ago when I was using
a Scout-the amp had been removed but it worked great with the Scout.FYI,from
the 1936 ARRL handbook,the info on the D-104 is -1 meg load Z @.02 volts.
Now the Scout has an input Z of 100K max-
this means a 10/1 Z mismatch.
The Jupiter and Pegasus have a 50K max
input Z-a 20/1 mismatch.
Solution? I built a FET pre amp in the base of the D-104 in common drain
cvofiguration and used a Heil XT-1  mike xfrmr wired in reverse
 with the 43 ohm windinding as the load for the FET and the 1300 ohm winding
feeding the Jupiter.Intially had to run hr mike gain no greater than 9% of
extreme flattopping would occur as observed on my good old Heathkit monitor
scope.
Solution? Pop the bottom cover off the Jupe and adjust the internal mike
gain pot for a good Christmas tree pattern into a dummy load at 50% front
panel mike gain setting.
Now what's rocket science about this?
73 de Bill W4NJF

Bill Fulling