[TenTec] Sample-to-Sample Variations

Robert & Linda McGraw K4TAX RMcGraw at Blomand.Net
Fri Mar 14 08:25:48 EST 2003

To that end, good points are raised.

In my case, I've "hand picked" several components that are used in my Omni
VI series.  The result is I find a noticeable improvement of receiver
performance .  Now this is to say that the performance was good to start
with, but by hand picking some of the balanced mixer products and switching
diodes, yet another level of performance can be attained.  This is not
something that I view any manufacturer can or would be willing do on a
production basis.  Too costly, too time consuming.  At the same time, there
are some receivers on the market that do attain this level of performance
but the cost is in excess of $12,000 each.

This is no different than an production automobile and a car that's run on
the drag strip on Saturday evenings.  The drag car starts out as a street
car and then has hand selected and tweaked components to enhance
performance.  One vehicle costs $20,000 total, while the other one has a
$20,000 engine, transmission and rear end.

To that end in production radios, unit to unit variations can be expected in
production runs with regard to minute performance issues.  Otherwise, most
folks won't know the difference in either one.  The good news is, "they all
work!"

73
Bob, K4TAX