[TenTec] Field Day GOTA Station, if available we think a Pegasus may work out well

w4chl at mindspring.com w4chl at mindspring.com
Fri Mar 14 12:14:06 EST 2003

Dear Mark N8ME,

Agree with the posts about use what is available.  However, if a Pegasus
is available, then perhaps read on !

We are planning on using a Pegasus. For many younger ops, presenting a PC
defined radio isn't a problem, quite the contrary presenting that
interface has  spurred some into greater interest in HF. And either the
TenTec or N4PY client runs happily on older pretty energy efficient
Pentium 90 laptops such as a ThinkPad 755.  I do have the keypad, so at
least radio tuning and executing macros can be done by twiddling a dial
and pushing dedicated "radio" buttons !

We are planning a GOTA station with our local Orange County Radio Amateurs
(OCRA) on Field Day, here is some of the planning for both the IRB and
Field Day ops:
http://rtpnet.org/parc/Station/IRB

We plan on operating QRP, battery, so the energy budget is in issue, here
is an interesting set of measurements I did comparing energy use of the
rig we used in the past, an IC-706, with a Pegasus and with a FT-817 of
mine. The laptop was used as a logging computer last year, so was there
anyway:

Options for FD2003                              Idle pwr Booster needed
Peripherals             Xmit 5W PS curr
Pegasus w/ min 486/100 logging PC (TP755)       660ma           Likely
k'pad, internal AT      1.8A
FT-817 w/ more basic logging/control PC 350ma           No external AT
2.0A
IC-706 w/ more basic logging/control PC         1700ma          Yes
external AT             2.3A
IBM ThinkPad 755                                100ma           Likely
external Kb (key prob)  250ma (PSK w/ disk drive idle)

So Pegasus running 5W actually fares well.  As mentioned here or on
another list, yes a K-2 would be better than the FT-817 by a good margin,
but the only fellow with a K-2 in our club is planning on using it
elsewhere.

Cheers & 73s de Mark W4CHL

Mark R. Smith  w4chl at arrl.org
Chapel Hill NC  USA   http://rtpnet.org/parc