[TenTec] "Remember, it's a computer." (OT)

Tom North tomnorth at airmail.net
Sat Mar 15 23:32:27 EST 2003

WA2PVK points out some things that I think are very valid. I'll toss in my
.02, FWIW.
I'm running 3 machines on a network here:
- 1.2G AMD T-Bird/Asus A-7V combo with Matrox dual-screen card, for CAD and
graphics; no sound, no bells & whistles, just a cash cow running graphics
oriented software that keeps me in toys. More than that turned out to be a
distraction for this box.
- AMD K6 550 on a Soyo MB, sound, CD-RW, all the frills; this is the 'shack'
machine, and has several software packages of various vintages that are ham
related.
- WinBook J1 laptop (1G Pentium III) that has all the stuff the other two
have (save dual-screens), plus serves as a plotter server and internet
portal.
These 3 all have a couple things in common:
- Windows 2000 Professional OS.
- MS Office 97; it does everything I need to do. Office 2000 caused problems
and was removed. This may be the only MS software on them, save the OS.
- I use Opera as a browser. Security is adequate and it does a great job of
shooting down pop-ups. Plus I like the way it works.
- Minimum 'Player' programs. I have Quick Time and WMP on 2 machines. Real
Time caused problems. If it doesn't run on the first two, 'too bad'.
- VERY ADEQUATE RAM on all 3. Win 2k & XP Pro will require at least 256MB+
to run right on any box. I believe that a good amount is at least half the
speed of the processor - i.e. 1 GB processor, 512 MB RAM. Just to be sure,
the CAD machine carries 1 GB due to the software/task requirements.
- All are carefully maintained in terms of virus protection and defragging;
I use Norton SystemWorks for the maintenance of the system, registry,
obsolete pgms. etc. It works for me.
While there are some things that I know I can do in AutoCAD (LT2000i & 2000)
to cause a software crash, I cannot remember the last time I had a lock up
on any of 'em. I am of the opinion that keeping the balance on the hardware
side hefty and the software as simple as possible (read: don't upgrade every
time MS or whomever releases a new version), things will work in a very
transparent manner. Also, don't hesitate to trade back a new device driver
for an older one that works right.
Hope this helps. Any questions will answered to the best of my ability
(direct, please.)
73'
Tom  N5OZQ