[TenTec] Argo V Transmit Audio

Chester calderman at cox.net
Sat Mar 22 17:35:21 EST 2003

Tom,

	I have several strikes against me when responding to this, so
keep that in mind! I don't own an Argo V and I don't operate SSB.

	That being said, it sounds to me like your not using the ALC
properly. The purpose of ALC is, of course, to limit the max power
output under various drive conditions. From what I recall, using an
unmodulated carrier you set the Drive control to rated power output (NOT
max power out), then adjust the ALC control to where the ALC light just
begins to light up. THEN you should adjust the microphone level or mike
gain control to the point just before where the ALC light comes on. In
other words, once you set up the rated power output and then the ALC,
you should not have to adjust those two controls again while you set the
mike gain to just barely light the ALC light.

	I certainly would think the set up procedure is totally
explained in your users manual. And I don't think having to change mikes
would be the answer as I doubt that TT would provide a microphone with a
rig, that would not work properly with that rig. Anyway, maybe food for
thought on the problem. Good luck with it.

Tom/W4BQF
calderman AT cox.net