[TenTec] Amateur radio for home security?

Rich Gaarden Gaardens at surferie.net
Sun Mar 23 15:49:03 EST 2003

Hello folks,

I have a cabin about a half mile from my home.  The cabin is abt. 1000 feet
from the road with no automobile access.  I would like to build a security
system which would alert me to problems of various sorts.  Would it be
within the scope of amateur radio to use automated 2 Meter or 440 Mhz for
this purpose?  At 900 Mhz a LAN bridge would work and be legal but it would
be expensive.  Would packet be a way to do this?  Anyone have some wisdom
for me?

Best wishes,

Rich KF3DQ