[TenTec] Titan III amplifier information

Ten-Tec Inc. Amateur Radio Sales sales at tentec.com
Mon Mar 24 10:27:59 EST 2003

Hi:

Comments below.

At 10:10 PM 3/21/03 -0700, you wrote:
>I'll bet TenTec has had the same problem obtaining supplies of the Svetlana
>4CX1600B tubes as Alpha has for its Alpha 6 amplifier.  Ten Tec obviously
>gave up and redesigned/recertified the Titan III for the much cheaper more
>available 4CX800 tubes--a very intelligent move by Ten Tec in my opinion.
>Wish Alpha would do the same--I've been waiting a year.
>
>73//Ron K5MM

Correct - the 4CX800A is in plentiful supply and are inexpensive.
We have no concern that at some near future date that the
4CX800A will be unavailable.

The Titan III is somewhat different from the Titan II.  The power
supply design is different - all new screen supply.  Different cooling
fan and cooling air routing.   The chassis is physically bigger than
the Titan II - we needed an additional inch of width over the II
to accomodate the tube pair.  We have alodine plated the interior
chassis - the Titan II was raw aluminum.   Obviously, the finals are
a major difference over the last version of the amp.

Ken Brown wrote:

> > Interesting that the Titan has evolved from 2 X 3CX800 to 1 X 3CX1600
> > and now 2 X 4CX800. I wonder why they are showing the "band stop" and
> > standard bandpass filter on the web site. I suppose just because they
> > are the standard pictures from the manual. I suppose that even if they
> > required evidence of an amateur radio license before giving that
> > information, it would still get diseminated pretty quickly, so why
> > bother hiding it.

The pictures on the web site are duplicates of those used for the manual
and for our submission for FCC type certification.  The amp has to have
the standard input filter board replaced before 10/12 meter operation
can be enabled.   That board is only released for user-modification after
we have a copy of the purchaser's General class or higher amateur radio
license on hand.  Pulling the band stop off the bandswitch will enable the
switch position but won't result in any power output above 22 MHz
if RF is fed through it.

Scott Robbins
W4PA

Ten-Tec, Inc., 1185 Dolly Parton Pkwy, Sevierville, TN 37862 USA
   Contact Mon-Fri Eastern: Office/Tech (865) 453-7172 9 am-5 pm.
   Repair (865) 428-0364 8-4.  Sales (800) 833-7373 9 am-5:30 pm.
   Fax (865) 428-4483 24 hrs.  Visit us at <http://www.tentec.com>
   Email:  New product sales/product info         sales at tentec.com
              Service department                         service at tentec.com
   While we make every effort to answer email in an expedient manner,
   the telephone is a much more efficient tool for getting a quicker and
   more complete answer to your inquiries.  Thanks!