[TenTec] Orion/AL-1200 QSK -- Hard lesson #1

nq5t at attbi.com nq5t at attbi.com
Sat Mar 29 12:43:50 EST 2003

One day this will all come together ...

Hard Lesson #1.  If you use the QSK keying loop with the PIN
switch in an Ameritron amp, then you BETTER MAKE SURE you
have the loop set to ON in the Orion menu's BEFORE hitting the
key with the amp on Operate.

If you don't have the amp powered on, you have to turn the keying
loop OFF -- and then remember to set it to ON again, the next time
the amp is powered up.  I think this demands a big sign on the amp
power switch ...

(The problem is that you fry the fuse lamps in the diode switch
which kills the receive signal flow -- which I did.  Thank goodness
that at least the PIN diodes are protected.  That's 31 screws that
have to come out and go back in -- again.)

Other than that little operator error, the keying loop appears to work
peachy.

Grant

Grant