[TenTec] Orion Questions

Ken & Linda Burrough w8keb at 1st.net
Mon May 5 10:35:13 EDT 2003

Hi All

Bill wrote "3.  Does the Model 310 cooling fan run continuously or is it
temp-
controlled?  (It appears that it runs continuously with an attached
plug for 12V on the back of the Orion).  How noisy is it?  I would
normally plan to unplug it except for contests, but it seems like
cheap insurance since I know that heat is the number one cause
of semiconductor failure."

I have the Model 310 Cooling Fan on my Jupiter. CW rag chewing at 25 wpm
would get the heat sink on my Jupiter uncomfortable hot, too hot to keep my
hand on it.  I use a Keyboard for my sending and this maybe the cause of the
heating.  The 310 is not noisy, it can be heard when booting up the Jupiter
but as soon as the audio comes up the fan CAN NOT BE HEARD.  I do not unplug
the 310, it covers the whole heat sink and if not running could stop normal
cooling.  I also have the cooling fan on my Argonaut V, full power out on
PSK-31 and it stays cool as a cucumber.

Back to The Buzzard Roost.

Ken/w8keb
Flushing, Ohio