[TenTec] Hello Orion Users

RON ZOND K3MIY at CSONLINE.NET
Tue May 6 09:29:29 EDT 2003

hi

Regarding AF vs RF. Audio is heard by the ear, and consists of of
compressions and rarefractions
of air. RF (radio) is high frequency alternations of electric current, and
is independent of the
surrounding atmosphere. The frequency can be the same; you will hear AF and
not RF, provided that
the RF field is not strong, and does not shock excite any loose metal,
example, horizontal oscillators in tv sets adversely affecting loose wires.
The 14 kHz IF would only be detected by
ear if a wire was loose and the fiels was strong, exremely unlkely with
today's equipment.

Ron

-----Original Message-----
From: tentec-bounces at contesting.com
[mailto:tentec-bounces at contesting.com]On Behalf Of nq5t at attbi.com
Sent: Monday, May 05, 2003 9:52 PM
To: tentec at contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Hello Orion Users

The relationship only exists because of the physical nature of how
those two sensors on the sides of our head work.   The distinction
between audio and not-audio is irrelevant in this situation.  As
someone else pointed out, the difference has to do with definition of
baseband frequency for the DSP IF.  There's no relationship to what
happens in the 14Khz IF system (pre-detection) to "audio" DSP.

A dog can nearly hear a 50Khz IF signal, so following the "it's audio"
logic, I guess we could say a drake 2-B has a linear "doggie audio"
IF?   :-)

Grant/NQ5T