[TenTec] IC-7800

AC5E at aol.com AC5E at aol.com
Sat May 17 09:52:24 EDT 2003

Looks like everyone is going to play one-up for a while. Which is OK - but I
'spect we are going to see a lot of Munchausen-ism. Or as old Roxie White
would say, "Them minners is gunna turn inter whales."

On the practicalities, I suspect the '7800 is going to wholesale for
something close to 800,000 yen and have a sticker of 1,000,000 y in the
Ginza.  Around  7,000 and 9,000 bux American respectively at 115 yen to the
dollar and closer to  $8,000 and $10,000 if the yen continues to fall.

As most of the guru's think it will. If  the yen falls to a true parity
level, something between 80 and 90 yen to the buck, it will be one really
expensive radio. As will it's new TOL competitors from Yaesu and Kenweak.
Oops, sorry about the Freudian slip.

Getting all the bugs out of the'7800 is going to be a monumental problem
also. Even with cubic resources and all the programmers in China it usually
takes three lines of code to do what one will do when you double the number
of processors. With four processors I suspect they will have between 24,000
and 40,000 lines of code to debug.

And from the picture, I tend to agree it's been beat with an ugly stick. Of
course, that may be an engineering mockup instead of  a usable radio so we
will have to see what we shall see.

73 all  Pete Allen  AC5E