[TenTec] IC-7800.

Grant Youngman nq5t at attbi.com
Sat May 17 09:37:53 EDT 2003

Well, (no flame intended), I didn't find the discussion particularly
thoughtful at all.  In fact the gentlemen just plain got it wrong.

The Orion display is clear, crisp, and informative.  ALL of the
information that he supposedly couldn't figure out is there.  One
sees what one chooses to see.

I guess for a population that can't survive without the ability to play
networked Doom on its color cell phone/camera/instant-
messenger/GameBoy/addressbook/photoalbum/MP3Player, the
display on the Icom is just right.

Personally, I find the 7800 display (making the same mistake John
did by only looking at pictures) cluttered and obviously built to show
well.  Those two digital S-meters eating up half the screen are too
much -- hopefully there are "options" that the will let one clean up
the mess.  The control layout is cluttered and overdone.  (But I'm
not here to bash the 7800).

Maybe my mind would change if I actually spent a day or two
OPERATING the 7800.  Maybe the other gentlemen's mind would
change if he spent a day or two OPERATING the Orion.

It's just too much like two little boys comparing parts -- we're forever
doomed to be worried that ours isn't the biggest ....  even if it doesn't
matter.

Grant/NQ5T