[TenTec] In re color displays, etc.

John Rippey w3uls at 3n.net
Sat May 17 22:34:05 EDT 2003

Believe it or not, folks, looks are important--in cars, boats and radios
hams buy. The authority for this statement is not me but none other than
Scott Robbins, who mentioned in an e-mail to me many moons ago that Ten-Tec
is well aware that to reach a wider ham market beyond its core constituency
the radios it produces have to look good (what that means for us hams is a
question for Scott to deconstruct, not me).

In my book, the Argonaut V is a really good looking radio, the best from a
design standpoint in my shack. I liked the Argosy also. The OMNI VI I own
is so-so. Don't know about the Jupiter or Orion, although a major effort
obviously has been made to make them appealing. When you look at the ad
photos for the Mark V series, the radios look like gangbusters. But they do
not play as well as they look, IMHO. Yet Yaesu has sold tens of thousands
of the the MP line. I liked the looks and ergonomics of an FT-920 I owned,
but it didn't hear very well. And I've heard a number of hams on the air
speak glowingly of the multi-color display of their PROs. (The PROs
obviously are also very good radios.)

So, yes, performance is important but, for hams anyway, it may not be not
decisive.

73,
John, W3ULS