[TenTec] Display color

Ynkedragon at aol.com Ynkedragon at aol.com
Sun May 18 13:35:15 EDT 2003

I'm writing from the perspective of being a color-deficient (a/k/a color
blind) male.  Statistically, guys, 1:10 of us are!

I prefer a black on white (field) for text presentation; one of my favorite
monitors was the old original MacIntosh computer.  It's a familiar
presentation just like the newspapers and books we read.

For graphics, color can add information or meaning--IF THE VIEWER CAN
PERCEIVE IT.  For example, when I look at the precipitation intensity
graphics on the Weather Channel, I see the low precipitation and high
precipitation indications as the same color.  [My artist daughter says there
is a difference.]  I have had to "tweak" (with the help of a friend) many
pieces of software just to see the displayed information.

So, a color display, to be useful to the greatest audience, has to be very
well designed--considering the several forms of color deficiency--and must
have variable parameters, too.

Thus, beyond the cost of a color monitor comes the cost of increased design
and programming time, and to some users, more problems.

73,  Blair k3yd