[TenTec] Orion questions

Greg Fischer ab7r at direcway.com
Sun May 18 11:44:55 EDT 2003

OK all.... Now that I have been playing with this new rig for about 2 days straight, I have a couple  questions to see if others perform the same or maybe I have something set wrong, which certainly can be the case.

1.  I have the 3 optional filters installed.  when activated and I adjust BW from 380 down to 370 I see about an 2 S-unit attenuation.  I tried adjusting the center freq  by finding the roll off about equi-distant from the center with the BW control.  This still does not change the 2 s-unit drop.  Is this just the way the filter is acting as a roofing filter instead of a regular IF filter?  Just did not think it should do that.  The filter CF I adjusted was for the 500 hz one.

2.  The NR in CW seems to work in reverse.  When I activate it, it increases the noise, almost acting like a pre-amp. It increases the cw signal and the background noise as well.  This seems to vary with the strength of the signal.  The NR works great on  SSB with the AGC slower.  But a fast AGC in CW seems like it does not allow the NR DSP enough time to process the signal.

3.  When the headphones are plugged in, there is a CONSTANT high piched whine, sounds to be about 900-1000 hz (guess).  Also, when sending CW, the audio in the phones sounds like mush, almost like a crackling sound when transmitting.

4.  Rare, but occaisional loss of RX for no apparent reason.  Sometimes it looks like it locks up in low level Transmit since the SWR indicator comes on replacing the sub rx bargraph, but no output.

I am sure these are either software refinements or maybe I have something set wrong and should/could easily be corrected in time  (short time I hope).  Other than these, the rig seems great so far.  I love the signal handling whichi is why I bought it in the first place.

Thanks in advance for any help.  BTW... version 1.341

Greg
AB7R