[TenTec] RF Feedback on Omni VI (opt 3)

Ken Brown ken.d.brown at verizon.net
Mon May 19 19:16:08 EDT 2003

Hi Mark,

While it is true that a good ground is important, you should be able to
make the radio transmit into a test load without any RF feedback into
your mic audio. I suspect that there is something wrong besides just a
poor ground system if you cannot do that. I suggest checking very
carefully all of the coax lines you are using. In fact eliminate all but
the cable straight from the radio to the dummy load. And carefully
inspect the microphone cable and connectors. Remove any other extraneous
connections to the radio, such as connections to computers. Start with
the basics and see if you have a problem. You have another radio to
listen with, use headphones, the kind that cover your ear, so you don't
make a feedback path from your monitor system. If with the simple setup
of just Radio, power supply, microphone and test load, you still get RF
feedback, then something really is wrong, and a better ground probably
will not fix it.

Ken N6KB