[TenTec] Argosy mods and serial nrs. question

K5BDZ at aol.com K5BDZ at aol.com
Tue May 20 22:49:53 EDT 2003

The best Argosy mods I ever saw ( and incorporated) were in a Ham Radio
Magazine, roughly 1986 vintage.  These included audio level circuits to cut
out phase noise, as well as changes in IF frequency to 9.0000 MHz to use more
easy-to-find crystal filters, etc.  Other AGC mods, audio mods, etc were all
great.

The big TT change in serial numbers was roughly 864 (memory???) or so on the
Argosy I which incorporated a better mixer on the front end.  Made a
significant difference to techies but only to the trained operators.

TenTec did not incorporate any of these changes in the Argosy I or II.

I'm recalling from memory so don't ask specifics.... better yet find someone
with, or even go out and buy the CD with Ham Radio Magazine articles from the
'80's and read / modify it yourself.

Good luck... it's worth the effort if you do it.  I fully mod'ed two units
and finally sold the last one two years ago.  Really nice rigs after the mods
especially if you cascade two switchable 8 pole crystal filters at contest
time!

Bill K5BDZ

Bill K5BDZ