[TenTec] DC Power Supply Backup

Paul Christensen, Esq. w9ac at arrl.net
Wed May 21 15:58:22 EDT 2003

> Has anyone ever done anything like this?  Is it even
> necessary or is there enough residual energy in the PS
> filter caps that brief interruptions (typically <10 sec) are not
> a problem?

I have an Astron RS-35 and there's not enough stored energy in the filters to keep my Omni Six powered for more than a second or
two.

I once tried your idea with success in a different application but it required the use of two steering diodes to isolate the RS-35
from over-charging the battery.  A resistor in parallel with the battery's steering diode can supply enough trickle charging current
without over-charging the battery.  High-current Schottky diodes are best for this application since there is less than 0.7 volts
dropped across the diodes.

-Paul, W9AC