[TenTec] Orion & Motorcyle battery

Bill Miner wg6h at postoffice.pacbell.net
Wed May 21 18:56:25 EDT 2003

Terry,

The Astron DC supply has a high voltage crowbar protection circuit.  If
you have a battery connected directly to the output of the Astron and
the crowbar circuit operates you will have hundreds of amps of current
flow even from a motorcycle battery.  You can install an isolation diode
between the astron and the battery but then you will have the voltage
drop of the diode and the battery will not be charged to the proper
terminal voltage.  If your shack is inside your house it is a bad idea
to have a flooded cell (lead acid) battery there because of fumes or
spillage hazards.

In short....  yes you could do this but it is not a good idea in my
opinion.

F Y I  boot time for the ORION is less than ten seconds.

73,
Bill - K6WLM