[TenTec] Fw: [Icom] IC-7800 intell

nq5t at attbi.com nq5t at attbi.com
Thu May 22 05:26:41 EDT 2003

1.  The tuning knobs are weighted, have variable drag adjustment, and are NOT
(let me repeat that for emphasis .. NOT) cheap plastic.

2.  Tuning "feel" on the Orion is excellent. The knobs (both of them) are a
good size and the ball bearing shaft encoders are smooth as silk -- so smooth
that it is necessary to keep some drag on them, because they will spin for a
very long time (with a very big frequency change) if you don't.  There is NO
wobble, shimmy, shake, or other effect which impacts tuning feel.

The tuning knobs on my 75A4 and on my 51J4 have "very slight eccentricity",
too.  Guess the Collins guys haven't picked up on that yet.  I don't understand
how we get from "very slight eccentricity" to "inferiority in the entire
package and company"  When we jump, we jump big ... :-)

Grant/NQ5T